Friday, April 22, 2011

Backstage at FIDM Debut Show-old school





Years ago I volunteered as a dresser at the FIDM Debut Fashion Show. This was before I had anything of any real signifigance on my resume and it was all very new and exciting. At the time this was the largest scale thing I had ever worked on and enjoyed capturing as many moments as I could. I love the atmosphere of being backstage of anything. I grew up doing Musical Theater so being in the wings is something that feels very familar, like sitting on your grandmothers couch. I love photography but don't have any sort of training but during this particular show I had the thought that if I were ever to be a photographer I would want to do photography backstage at fashion shows. The runway is exciting but the true moments are the moments before the women walk down the runway. That is the time when their spirit is revealed. These photos invoke a very familiar feeling to that of Renoir's exploration of ballet. Showcasing these incredibly beautiful women who have these glamorous lives in the less glamorous parts. Something about that is so much more beautiful to me then the moments where they are actually modeling. The bottom three pictures feature dresses by Clay Adler, an incredibly talented designer here in Los Angeles. Seriously, check out his website and re blog him because he is incredible and down to earth to boot. The first dress is from project runway, really beautiful. The whole collection was supposed to be reminiscent of waves and the ocean. So great!

No comments:

Post a Comment